A guide to Assurant Renters Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions


Can I purchase coverage for my child that is renting an apartment/dorm while attending college?

Yes. You may purchase coverage for your child that is renting an apartment or dorm while attending college. Please note that you cannot request any changes unless you are listed on the policy.

Can roommates share coverage through one policy?

Yes. If you’d like to add a roommate, please notify us by visiting All individuals will be named on any claim payments or policy refunds. If you purchased the Involuntary Unemployment Insurance endorsement only the first named insured will be covered.
Student Housing leases typically do not allow roommates to share an insurance policy because each lease is per bed. Please verify your lease requirements.

How many named insured can I list in my policy?

If you purchase a Renters Insurance policy you may list one named insured and one additional insured. If you purchase a liability-only policy you may list one named insured and up to 3 additional insureds. All individuals will be named on any claim payments or policy refunds.

Should I list my landlord/community as an additional insured?

You should not list your property manager as an additional insured.  If you are liable for damage to the community as a result of fire, smoke, explosion or water damage, your property manager will not be able to collect damages against your policy if they are listed as a named insured.
If your property manager is requesting to be named on the policy you want to consider adding them as an interested party.

What is a moratorium?

A moratorium is a waiting period set by the insurance provider. During this period of time, certain types of insurance, including Renters Insurance, cannot take effect. Moratoriums are usually established when a catastrophic event is anticipated for an area. For example, areas under threat of a hurricane or a wild fire are not eligible for coverage during the moratorium period designated by the company. To determine if your area is under a moratorium call 1-866-720-3213.


How do I cancel coverage?

Assurant values your business and regrets that you are considering canceling your policy. In order to proceed, please give us a call at 1-800-432-8612 to discuss your cancellation request.

How do I change my coverage?

You may request a coverage change by visiting Simply select your policy and click Request Policy Change button. We will review your request and process it within 3 to 5 business days at which time any approved changes will be reflected on the site.
You may also email your request to  Be sure to include your name, address, policy number, policy type and the type of modification you wish to make.

How do I file a claim?

To file a claim, please contact our Claims Department at 1-800-358-0600, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. Please be prepared to give a detailed account of the events for which you are filing an insurance claim. Here are some of the things you will need when filing your claim:
  • Policy number
  • Police or Fire Department report number
  • Landlord or Property Manager’s phone number

What are the Customer Service hours?

If you are an existing policyholder, you may visit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
You may also call 1-800-432-8612. Customer Service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.

If you are not an existing policyholder, please call 1-866-720-3213, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.

What happens to my coverage if I move?

In most cases coverages may be transferred to your new rental property. Simply submit an address change request in the “Manage My Policy” section of  Please notify us within 30 days from the day you begin to move in order to change the location on your policy. If you move to a new state, a new policy with the rates and forms applicable to that state will be issued.
If you purchased a home, please submit your cancellation request via email to Be sure to include your name, current and future addresses, policy number, policy type, the last day you plan to live in your current residence, and the move-in date to your new address.

When will I receive my policy?

If you elected to receive your policy documents electronically, you should receive an email within 24 to 48 hours after your policy was purchased online. Please note that incorrect or invalid email addresses will delay the delivery of policy documents.
Otherwise, you should receive your policy documents within 10 days from the time you purchase your policy online.

If you submitted a paper application with payment, you should expect to receive your policy documents within 2 weeks from the time we receive your application payment.

What documents can I receive electronically?

You can receive your policy and billing related documents electronically. These may include billing statements, schedule of future payment notices, policy documents among others.
Please note: Depending on your program, certain documents are NOT currently available electronically. Those documents will be sent via U.S. Mail. In addition, there are certain documents we are required by law to send via U.S.

What happens if the email containing your policy document is undeliverable?

If we send your policy documents by email and it is returned as undeliverable, after 2 electronic attempts, we will make an effort to obtain a better email address to resend your documents. Otherwise we will automatically change your preference on our system and send your policy documents by US Mail within 5 - 10 business days.


Does my property owner's insurance cover me?

No. The property owner’s insurance generally covers only the building where you live. There is no coverage for your personal belongings or any liability coverage in the event you are negligent and legally responsible for causing bodily injury or damage to someone else’s property.

Do I need to list my spouse as a named insured on the policy?

No. A spouse is automatically insured if he/she is a resident of the same household.

What is the difference between Renters Insurance and Liability-Only Insurance?

Renters Insurance provides personal property coverage against the perils listed on your policy. Plus it provides liability coverage, which protects you in the event you are legally liable for damages because of bodily injury or property damage to someone else's property.
A Liability-Only policy protects you only in the event of bodily injury or damage to someone else's property for which you are legally liable. Please note, Liability-Only policy is only sold on a group basis and only residents that are part of such group will be offered this coverage.

What should I keep as proof of personal property in the event we have a loss?

Receipts of purchase are the best proof of ownership; however, if not available, pictures of the items with the brand names, serial numbers and models are also acceptable.

Is there a cancellation fee?

No. There is no cancellation fee.


How are claims for personal property with replacement cost paid?

If your personal property is damaged by a covered peril we will pay the cost of replacement of the item without deduction for depreciation. The item(s) must first be replaced before the replacement cost can be paid. Otherwise, Actual Cash Value will be paid.

Is there a deductible?

You could have a $100, $250 or $500 (where available) deductible per occurrence on property coverage. To see which deductible amount is applicable in your state, refer to your coverage selection. Deductibles do not apply to Liability or Involuntary Unemployment Insurance coverage.

How much personal property coverage should I buy if I don't own very much?

Most people’s belongings are often worth more than they think. That’s one reason why you need Renters Insurance. The question you might ask yourself is, “How much would it cost to replace everything I own?” To find out how much you own, click on the calculator icon next to Personal Property Coverage on the "Quote" page.

In the event of a tropical storm or hurricane, is my personal property in my Renters Insurance policy covered?

Yes, if the direct force of the wind or hail damages the building causing an opening in a roof or wall and the rain, snow or sleet enters through this opening and causes water damage to your personal property.

What is loss of use coverage?

If you suffer a loss by a covered peril and your residence is not fit to live in, this policy covers either Additional Living Expenses or Fair Rental Value. Additional Living Expenses means it covers any necessary increase in living expenses incurred by you so that your household can maintain its normal standard of living. Fair Rental Value means it covers the expenses for you to live in a new location of similar value, while your unit is uninhabitable, minus any expense that does not continue while the premises is uninhabitable.

Is there a special limit on certain personal property?

Yes. These are some items with special limit. These include fine art, jewelry, silverware, stamps, cards, guns, and gold ware. Refer to your policy and forms for a detailed list and limits.

Is my computer and cell phone covered?

If you purchased a Renters Insurance policy, your cell phones and computers are covered if damaged as a result of a covered peril.

Are my items covered when in storage?

If you purchase a Renters Insurance policy, your items are covered when in storage, but the storage location cannot be used as the insured address. The insured location must be the residence of the insured.
Please note: Coverage for belongings in an off-site storage facility, is limited to 20% of your Personal Property coverage, except in FL and PA. In NC, coverage is limited to 10% of your Personal Property coverage or $1,000, whichever is greater.

Is mold covered?

If you purchase Renters Insurance, damages due to mold may be covered. Please refer to your policy for details, including availability, exclusions and limitations.

How do I schedule personal property?

Once you have purchased your Renters Insurance policy, contact customer service at 1-800-432-8612, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET. A friendly customer service representative will be happy to assist you schedule your personal property.

What does the pet damage endorsement cover?

The pet damage endorsement is available for an additional premium with the Renters Insurance program. The cost is $20 annually and it provides up to $500 of liability coverage if your pet causes damage to your rental unit. Losses must exceed $500, your security deposit, or pet deposit - whichever is greater. Coverage is not available in all states.


Why do I need liability insurance?

Imagine how much you may have to pay out of pocket if you accidentally start a fire. As a result, most property managers are now requiring evidence of liability insurance when tenants rent an apartment. Liability coverage will pay for damage you accidentally cause to the rental property as a result of fire, smoke, explosion and water damage.

Why does my community require liability insurance?

Liability coverage pays the community for damage caused to the rental property as a result of Fire, Smoke, Water Damage and Explosion caused by residents.
Many renters do not realize that they are financially responsible for damage caused to the rental property they are renting as a result of their negligence. For example, if you accidentally start a fire in your apartment that causes damage to the building, you are legally responsible for the damage. What if your neighbor upstairs leaves the water running in the tub and it overflows causing damage to your personal belongings as well as your rental property? Since your neighbor is responsible for the damage, his liability policy will pay for the damage.

What if your neighbor upstairs leaves the water running in the tub and it overflows causing damage to your personal belongings as well as your rental property?

Since your neighbor is responsible for the damage, his liability policy will pay for the damage.
Your financial institution is billed immediately, regardless of the effective date of the policy, for the entire premium if you choose annual pay or for the first installment if you choose a pay plan. Installments are billed as follows: 4 Pay – 3 additional installments billed every other month. 11 Pay – 10 additional installments billed monthly.
You can pay your premium by choosing one annual payment, spread your premium over 4 payments (billed bi-monthly) or you may also choose our monthly payment plan. If you choose installment payments, a service fee of up to $5 will be added to each installment, depending on your state. In Louisiana, the service fee is not included in the initial payment.
For convenience, most customers prefer to have their payments automatically deducted. As a result, at the time of purchase we automatically default to auto pay. If you wish to receive an invoice and pay your premiums at your discretion as due, simply call our Customer Service at 1-800-432-8612, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, to change your collection method.

Legal Notice | Privacy Policy | Our Underwriters | Site Map